Sunday, April 22, 2012

Mornings filled with Pavizhamalli (Coral Jasmine)




The Sun is slowly rising in our city. I had always loved mornings. It’s the time when the mind is fresh and when we could decide whether we want this day to be good or bad. It is always a joy to see the soft yellow sunshine sweeping the streets and the trees. Most of my mornings are filled with the scent of Pavizhamallis otherwise known as Coral Jasmine. It is a simple flower with white petals and orange tube at the center.

As I walk everyday to the bus stop, I pass a carpet of these flowers on the street. Actually it is blooming in a tree which belongs to a nearby house and one branch had grown towards the street. Flowers from this branch are covering a portion of the footpath. It is a wonderful sight.

A quick Google tells me that the name of these flowers is Nyctanthes arbortristis. I don’t know why anyone had chosen such a name for this tree. The meaning of this name is ‘Night blooming sad tree’. But I can’t see anything sad about this tree except the fact that the flowers are short lived. But most of the flowers which belong to the Jasmine category are short lived. The tree should be very happy that its flowers are so lovely.

The weekend is here!!! Two days of creativity ahead.  Planning to stitch something new (a bag or purse) this weekend.  And a lot of reading…

Currently I have a lot of books in my reading basket. But still the yearning for going to a book store is strong. I am beginning to suspect whether I am addicted to ‘book-shopping’.